Thursday, August 31, 2017

Chicken Bouillon - plant based

When we started eating WFPB, a lot of our favorite staple recipes had to be retired. We weren't big beef eaters, but we ate a lot of poultry. Yesterday as I sat down to make a menu (er...figure out what the heck I was going to try to feed my family) I was thinking about how much my family loved taquitos - the ones my friend Berta taught me to make years ago. They are nothing like the frozen grocery store taquitos and even though we didn't make them very often, they were always a huge hit.

I was day dreaming about them and I wondered if they could be made WFPB, but then I remembered that my recipe calls for (and heavily relies on) chicken bouillon.  I figured, "why not see if there are any alternatives out there?" and googled it - coming up with a surprising number of results.  Some WAY more complicated than what would be worth the work.

Here's my adaptation of several different recipes. I was shocked at how much it tasted like chicken bouillon - shocked, and then overjoyed. My husband tasted it and was also amazed. I added some to a glass of hot water and made a broth and it STILL tasted like chicken bouillon!

Thrilled, I reworked my taquitos recipe and we had them for dinner. People (including me) moaned. They weren't our normal taquitos, but they were still pretty dang good - all thanks to the chicken bouillon.

Note - this recipe (and every other that I came across) calls for nutritional yeast. My family can't stand the stuff, but I figured I would try it one last time to see if it worked in this recipe. In my previous experience buying the nutritional yeast flakes, I purchased the large flakes. Yesterday however, I bought a much finer flake, and was very surprised by it - I didn't mind it nearly as much. If you have the option, my recommendation would be to use the finest/smallest flake available.

1 cup nutritional yeast (see note above)
2 t. onion powder
1 t. onion salt
1/2 t. sage
1/2 t. majoram
3 T. dried parsley
1.5 t. garlic salt
1.5 t. celery salt
pinch basil
1 t. thyme
1 t. rosemary
1 t. sorrel (I LOVE the flavor this herb adds, but it is a bit obscure and difficult to find. I found some seeds this year and grow it, but have never seen it for sale - so if you can find it, grab some, it is delightful!)

Combine ingredients in a food processor or blender.
Store in airtight container.

**For broth - add 1 Tablespoon to 1 cup of boiling water. Adjust taste as needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment