Thursday, February 26, 2015

"Souped Up" Hearty Multi Grain Pancakes

My family loves hot pancakes for breakfast, however I'm not a fan of premade "just add water" pancake mixes. I like the fluffy thick made from scratch pancakes - but they are a tougher sale at my house as time is a commodity in the mornings.
So, I've come to a compromise - we use the mix, but I get to add "healthy things" to the pancakes, and to make up for it, I'll usually throw in some blueberries or chocolate chips to make sure the kids will actually eat them.  It's a vicious cycle.
I'm on a huge omega 3 oils kick right now, and anywhere I can throw them in, they are included. These are full of protien, and fiber, and the omega 3 oils - so they are healthy, and they fill you up and keep you going.   I've also been adding freshly grated and toasted coconut to everything.  As in, I use my machete to break it open, and then put it into the food processor to shred, then toast in the oven.  It isn't sweet, but I feel like it is important and it isn't noticeable.   

1 Tablespoon amaranth seeds - lightly toasted or popped 
2 Tablespoons flax seed
2 Tablespoons chia seed
1 Tablespoon natural coconut - shredded and toasted (unsweetened)
1/4 cup oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
dash of cardamom

Mix ingredients together, then add 2 cups of pancake mix, and water to reach desired consistency.  Allow to sit for a few minutes so that the oats soften, and the flax and chia will begin to thicken.    
Stir, then pour onto hot griddle, and add berries or chocolate chips if desired.  Turn once bubbles appear and begin to pop. Serve immediately, with a pat of butter, and 100% maple syrup or my Blueberry Syrup.
 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment